Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Parli italiano?


Since January, I’m learning Italian. I love traveling and want to go to Italy soon but I started learning for different reason. In the American school system, where I’m currently living and studying, in most schools, you are never required to learn a foreign language. If it’s the case, it’s often only for a year to satisfy the language requirement. 

I am Franco-American and thus bilingual in French and English. I worked hard when I was younger to learn the grammar, to read, write etc in both languages (especially since I learned French at home). However, I couldn’t remember learning. I couldn’t remember the frustration when struggling to communicate my ideas, not understanding a particular word, not knowing how to write a sentence in perfect tense or even knowing what tense a book was written in. In addition, in high school, one of my favorite teachers would sometimes walk in to class speaking Italian. I could understand for the most part, since Italian and French are both Romance Languages and thus similar, but was never able to respond. 

In college, I wanted to learn a third language, discover a new culture, la dolce vita of course, but especially find out what if feels like not to know. It’s a very challenging yet interesting mental exercise for me. It tests my patience since I have much more advanced levels of comprehension and reading skills than oral ones. This summer, I read In altre parole by Jhumpa Lahiri, watched italian YouTube videos and listened to podcasts in Italian. I worked hard and can’t wait for back to school to progress even more. It’s addicting. 

Have you learned a language before? Do you have any learning tips? Does anyone want to host me in Italy? :)

Depuis janvier, j’apprends l’italien. J’adore voyager. Je voudrai bientôt aller en Italie. Par contre, j’ai commencé l'apprentissage de cette langue pour une toute autre raison. Dans le système éducatif américain où je vis et poursuis mes études, on n’est rarement obligé d'apprendre une langue étrangère. Et quand c’est le cas, ce n'est souvent que pendant un an pour satisfaire les obligations. 

Je suis franco-américaine et donc bilingue. Quand j'étais petite, je travaillais beaucoup à apprendre la grammaire des deux langues, lire, écrire etc. (surtout parce que j’apprenais le français à la maison). En revanche, maintenant, je ne me souviens pas d’avoir appris à parler en français ou en anglais. Je ne me rappelle pas avoir été frustrée en n'arrivant pas à communiquer mes pensées, comprendre un mot, savoir écrire une phrase au passé composé, voire même reconnaître le temps d'une phrase. De plus, au lycée, un de mes profs préférés entrait parfois en cours en commençant à parler italien. J’arrivais à comprendre la plupart des mots, puisque l’italien et le français sont des langues romanes proches, mais je ne pouvais jamais lui répondre en italien.

À l’université, j’ai voulu commencer à apprendre une troisième langue, découvrir une nouvelle culture, "la dolce vita" bien évidemment, mais aussi apprécier ce que c'est que de ne pas savoir. C’est un exercice intellectuel très difficile et passionnant. Je travaille ma patience, car j’arrive à comprendre et à lire à un niveau beaucoup plus avancé que mon niveau d'expression orale. Du coup, cet été, j’ai lu "In altre parole" de Jhumpa Lahiri, regardé des vidéos YouTube en italien et écouté des podcasts italiens. Je me suis mise à fond dedans et j’ai hâte de reprendre les cours pour pouvoir progresser encore plus. "Mi piace l'italiano."

Avez-vous déjà appris une langue étrangère? Avez-vous des suggestions pour rendre l’apprentissage plus facile? Voulez-vous m’accueillir en Italie? :) 



Zaful shirt*, J. Crew shorts, Vans shoes, Rag Vintage sunglasses, Zaful bag*

photos: FARYAL

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! I am actually heading to Italy in less than a week! I am pretty fluent in Spanish but would love to learn some other languages as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me all about your trip when you get back! Where are you headed?

      Delete
  2. I learned italien for some months as well :)
    xx
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a Cute Dress, look lovely. We are looking for bloggers to join our site! If interested please visit our site and send us an email! 
    グッチ靴激安コピー

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and will check out your blog.

You want to chat? Email me at petite.maison.of.fashion@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...